Thursday, October 9, 2008

Queen of Darkness - review

So... is the game worth it? Definitely :D ...to me, anyways. I really enjoyed the game, and I found that playing the game without knowing what would happen in the story was rewarding. And thus, I won't post anything about the story itself, or what happens in each character's route. I'll leave it as a joy for you to discover on your own.

Story
I like the story. It's dark enough without becoming gloomy or depressing, and it's mature enough without overdoing it. It's also managed to inject enough humour in it despite the serious storyline (I found myself laughing from time to time). I like how each character's route reveals something different. You don't play the same game over and over where the only difference is the character's reaction; depending on who you're going for the story will reveal different things about the character while still following the major storyline. The romance part of the story was done well following the theme of the game, but if you're looking for a sweet pure love story... this is not the game you should be playing. If raep bothers you, this is also not the game you should be playing. ...I think I've played too much darker games before that the things in this game hardly bothered me.

Gameplay
Gameplay, I think, is quite balanced. It's not too complicated, and at the same time it's not too easy that it becomes boring. Story is also well spread out; you're not likely to go through a long time of gameplay before the next part of the story comes up. And there are quite a lot of events for each character; thankfully they're all replayable in the Option. And speaking of events, even some of the events that's not related to the male characters... are very well done. I especially like the events where Risty talked to Zoland in the garden.

Seiyuu
Seiyuu did an excellent job :D The voices match the character design and personality. ...the only one which took me some time to get used to was Risty's seiyuu. I kept on thinking that the voice didn't really match the character portrait, but maybe it's just me. My favourite was Hellvady :D his seiyuu brought out his character perfectly.

Music
Music is well made (which is why I guess you can buy the OST CD separately), and it matches the mood of the story. I found the music to help set up the atmosphere of the game. Music transition between different moods in the game was also well done.

Graphic
Graphic is very good for a doujin game. Background, for example, was pretty detailed. Character sprites were also coloured nicely, with a variety of facial expressions. Sometimes during the 18+ scenes the body looked rather unproportional, but not so much that it'd bother me. I've seen games where the body proportion was laughable, and QoD doesn't fall into that category.

Favourites
Recommended playing order: Reiza -> Cristval -> Hellvady -> Garum.
Favourite character, from most to least: Hellvady -> Garum -> Cristval -> Reiza.
Favourite route, from most to least: Hellvady -> Cristval -> Garum -> Reiza.

No comments: